יום שלישי, 15 ביוני 2010

Walk it Out: Pop Art, Voyeurism and Go Getters


Today I decided to walk to the the Tel-Aviv Museum of Art. Boy, was that a sticky situation. The heat and humidity here is unfathomable, especially considering it was only about a 30 minute walk. In the end, I found myself in front of the sculptures of Moore, Picasso and some other noteworthy artists and I was only in the outer courtyard. I went in and in the central exhibition space there was a display of 20th century car design. Front and center stood a white BMW painted by Roy Lichtenstein in 1977 with his signature pop art design - which was Awesome! This goes without mentioning the huge Lichtenstein mural on the wall behind this exhibition. It was most endearing to watch a 60 or so year old man say to his wife "look at this car, do you remember this...take a picture of me with it." The wife smiled politely and obliged (to her husband's request), about 6 pictures later of this man striking the same pose - grinning widely throwing the thumbs up, while a guard watched on with amusement; I decided to move on.

Evidently, entering the next exhibition from the wrong side. I worked my way backwards piecing together information about the artist, Robert Baser. As I learned when I finally reached the end (or rather the beginning) of the exhibition, Baser was born in Athens, Greece in 1908 and immigrated to Palestine in 1934. His work is abstract in nature and largely represents war scenes. I much preferred his sculptures over his paintings. One sculpture in particular remains in my mind. Entitled "Unknown Soldier," the piece consists of a mirror (that serves as the face)-reflecting the viewer's visage, attached to a mixture of polyester and weapon parts that form the intestinal body of a human being. The sculpture is a good marriage of concept and material and strikes a particular chord in Israel. The sculpture is from the 1960s - perhaps made during the time of the six day war. Baser also has another series entitled "The Lebanon War, 1980s" depicting people, weapons and geometric shapes that appear as shattered glass. The artist certainly doesn't shy away from the conflict. In a quote in the exhibition, Baser says
"Nature is where I escape to. With the watercolors I go out to the landscape like a bird. These are my moments of rest and liberation from stresses.. Sculpting is my other side, in which I express the human landscape, put in my world view, my criticism of the society in which I live."
Though I didn't always appreciate the aesthetic of Baser's paintings. I really liked the message of his work and how he utilized his mixed media material.
I continued on to "The Sculptures of Edgar Degas" exhibit, which displayed a substantial collection of his dancer sculptures. Also included were his horses - which focus on the horses movements. Perhaps the most voyeuristic, a collection of the bathers - also my favorite sculptures. "The tub" and "The Masseuse" are both interesting in composition and completely catch the subject matter off guard. "The tub" depicts the intimate setting of a woman bathing. While "The Masseuse", as one museum goer noted "looks like the most painful massage ever - that's not the way I get them."
The exhibition of Degas' sculptures was well done and had a nice 60 minute video at the end that explained his inspiration.

I then checked out the Tamar Getter : G0 2 exhibition, which I honestly wasn't overly impressed by. It is definitely very politically charged - but in an almost overwhelming way. The canvases are enormous and are all side by side, image after image of at times seemingly disconnected paintings. Don't forget to pick up a packet with an explanation of the artwork, otherwise the exhibition will seem completely disjointed. I wish they had some more writing on the wall for viewers to follow. The packet serves only as a partially helpful guide.

A unique artist that I discovered today is the winner of "The 2009 Rappaport Prize for an Established Israeli Painter," Tal Mazliach. Tal paints very vibrant paintings that often largely appear like design patterns. The paintings utilize image and text to offer political and social statements (a prominent one was about gender and uses phallic imagery). Her political paintings mostly address the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, Tal finds inspiration from the respective peoples flags and uses their colors together in her compositions.

Overall, the museum was fantastic and I learned a lot about artists I had never known about before. Although, I must admit I didn't make it all the way thorough the museum. After about 4 hours of walking and gawking I called it quits and walked back in the still humid air.

I guess i'll just have to go back ;)

*Stars: 5 of 5 - Highly recommended. Permanent collection is also wonderful. For art lovers, enthusiasts and curious wanderers.

אין תגובות:

הוסף רשומת תגובה